Current:Home > ScamsTrump will return to court after first day of hush money criminal trial ends with no jurors picked -Capitatum
Trump will return to court after first day of hush money criminal trial ends with no jurors picked
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 07:48:29
NEW YORK (AP) — Donald Trump will return to a New York courtroom Tuesday as a judge works to find a panel of jurors who will decide whether the former president is guilty of criminal charges alleging he falsified business records to cover up a sex scandal during the 2016 campaign.
The first day of Trump’s history-making trial in Manhattan ended with no one yet chosen to be on the panel of 12 jurors and six alternates. Dozens of people were dismissed after saying they didn’t believe they could be fair, though dozens of other prospective jurors have yet to be questioned.
What to know about Trump’s hush money trial:
- Follow our live updates here.
- Trump will be first ex-president on criminal trial. Here’s what to know about the hush money case.
- A jury of his peers: A look at how jury selection will work in Donald Trump’s first criminal trial.
- Donald Trump is facing four criminal indictments, and a civil lawsuit. You can track all of the cases here.
It’s the first of Trump’s four criminal cases to go to trial and may be the only one that could reach a verdict before voters decide in November whether the presumptive Republican presidential nominee should return to the White House. It puts Trump’s legal problems at the center of the closely contested race against President Joe Biden, with Trump painting himself as the victim of a politically motivated justice system working to deprive him of another term.
Trump has pleaded not guilty to 34 felony counts of falsifying business records as part of an alleged effort to keep salacious — and, he says, bogus — stories about his sex life from emerging during his 2016 campaign. On Monday, Trump called the case brought by Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg a “scam” and “witch hunt.”
The first day of Donald Trump’s historic hush money trial ended Monday after hours of pretrial motions and an initial jury selection process that saw dozens of prospective jurors excused after they said they could not be fair or impartial.
The charges center on $130,000 in payments that Trump’s company made to his then-lawyer, Michael Cohen. He paid that sum on Trump’s behalf to keep porn actor Stormy Daniels from going public with her claims of a sexual encounter with Trump a decade earlier. Trump has denied the sexual encounter ever happened.
Prosecutors say the payments to Cohen were falsely logged as legal fees. Prosecutors have described it as part of a scheme to bury damaging stories Trump feared could help his opponent in the 2016 race, particularly as Trump’s reputation was suffering at the time from comments he had made about women.
Trump has acknowledged reimbursing Cohen for the payment and that it was designed to stop Daniels from going public about the alleged encounter. But Trump has previously said it had nothing to do with the campaign.
Jury selection could take several more days — or even weeks — in the heavily Democratic city where Trump grew up and catapulted to celebrity status decades before winning the White House.
Only about a third of the 96 people in the first panel of potential jurors brought into the courtroom on Monday remained after the judge excused some members. More than half of the group was excused after telling the judge they could not be fair and impartial and several others were dismissed for other reasons that were not disclosed. Another group of more than 100 potential jurors sent to the courthouse Monday was not yet brought into the courtroom for questioning.
___
Richer reported from Washington.
veryGood! (899)
Related
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Amid fury of Israel-Hamas war, U.S. plans Israel evacuation flights for Americans starting Friday
- EU can’t reach decision on prolonging the use of chemical herbicide glyphosate
- UAW announces new approach in its historic strike against the Big Three automakers
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Sophie Turner Unfollows Priyanka Chopra Amid Joe Jonas Divorce
- 5 Things podcast: Scalise withdraws, IDF calls for evacuation of Gaza City
- As accusations fly over ballot stuffing in mayoral primary, Connecticut Democrat takes the 5th
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Chris Evans Breaks Silence on Marriage to Alba Baptista
Ranking
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- The AP Interview: EU President Michel warns about spillover of Israel-Hamas war into Europe
- Missouri auditor investigates St. Louis jail amid concerns about management and treatment of inmates
- Teen Mom's Kailyn Lowry Details New Chapter With Baby No. 5
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Q&A: SAG-AFTRA President Fran Drescher reacts to Hollywood studios breaking off negotiations
- After years of erasure, Black queer leaders rise to prominence in Congress and activism
- Philadelphia officer leaves hospital after airport shooting that killed 2nd officer; no arrests yet
Recommendation
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Schools near a Maui wildfire burn zone are reopening. Parents wrestle with whether to send kids back
ADHD affects hundreds of millions of people. Here's what it is − and what it's not.
Conservative leaders banned books. Now Black museums are bracing for big crowds.
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
Sophie Turner Unfollows Priyanka Chopra Amid Joe Jonas Divorce
Carlee Russell ordered to pay almost $18,000 for hoax kidnapping, faces jail time
Alabama lawmaker, assistant plead not guilty to federal charges